Assistant Manager Underwriting General – Brokers & Corporate – (1800003T)
Job Purpose and Key responsibilities
The job holder will be responsible for assessing and prudently underwriting risks as per the company underwriting guidelines to deliver the desired loss ratio and profitability. The role will report to the Underwriting Manager.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
1. Analyse proposed risks and make decisions to accept or reject
2. Determine the rates and terms to charge and ensure adherence to minimum rates as communicated by TIRA.
3. Ensure risk survey recommendations are communicated in time and follow up implementation
4. Supervise underwriters to ensure prudent underwriting and timely release of underwriting documents
5. Ensure prepared documents are issued to customers and/or intermediaries
6. Ensure renewal notices are issued as per set guidelines
7. Manage policy cancellation
8. Ensure acceptance of risks only after confirmation of payment of premium.
9. Manage company records and ensure proper filing of client information both manual and electronic
10. Deliver on performance requirements as defined in strategy map and personal scorecard.
• Loss Ratio
• Renewal Retention Ratio
• Customer turnaround time
• Premium payment
• Accountable to Underwriting Manager
• Required to liaise and work closely with Sales, Finance, Claims and other departments as may be necessary
• Insurance Companies
• TIRA and other regulatory institutions
• Knowledge of Tanzania Insurance regulatory requirements
1. Bachelor’s degree (Insurance option preferred)
2. Professional qualification in Insurance (Dip CII or equivalent)
3. 6 years in experience in underwriting in a similar position, two of which should be in a supervisory level.
4. Knowledge of Insurance Industry and concepts
5. Knowledge of Tanzania Insurance regulatory requirements
1. Leading and Supervising: Provides team with a clear direction based on the overall strategy and objectives of the department; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledge high potential talent within the team; sets and articulates the vision and values through own personal behaviour.
2. Persuading and Influencing: Gains clear agreement and commitment from other; promotes the departmental strategy and objectives during team conversations; promotes ideas on behalf of the team and or department; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage the team’s impression and brand on others.
3. Presenting and Communicating Information: Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
4. Adhering to Principles and Values: Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; encourages team and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
5. Analysing: Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
6. Planning and Organising: Sets clearly defined team objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors team performance against deadlines and milestones.
Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations: Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.