The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) Project Assistant position is responsible for day to day the implementation of NRC’s ICLA work in north-western camps in Tanzania (Nyarugusu, Nduta and Mtendeli). The ICLA Project Assistant will support the provision of information, counselling and legal assistance services in the camps and surrounding host communities. The Project Assistant will support provision of information and outreach services and counselling and legal assistance services to identified beneficiaries related to ICLA thematic areas as well as manage refugee community incentive staff hired to support ICLA activities. ICLA Project Assistant will also be involved in supporting the roll out of identified technical training and capacity building opportunities with partners.
• Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
• Ensure that project activities are implemented in accordance with project agreements
• Prepare and develop weekly, monthly and other status reports as required by management
• Ensure proper filing of documents and keeping of records
• Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
• Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need are identified, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist.
• Promote the rights of refugees/returnees in line with advocacy strategy
• Adherence to NRC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guidelines in relation to provision of information, counseling, legal assistance and referral activities
• Provision of information, counselling and legal assistance services in camp and surrounding host community
• Completing relevant M&E procedures for the documentation of ICLA beneficiaries
• Supporting the regular updating of IEC materials for dissemination
• Conducting group information sessions and other outreach activities
• Preparation of client intake and case management forms for counseling and legal assistance services and ensure confidentiality of client data
• Supporting the provision of internal referrals from other ICLA/NRC core competencies and conducting external referrals to other service providers
• Support the conducting of capacity building and training activities for communities, government officials and NGOs on ICLA thematic areas.
• Supervise relevant NRC community staff supporting project activities
• Participate in ICLA continuous assessments, mapping and investigation and supervise data collection during ICLA surveys and assessments
Diploma in law, political science, social science or other relevant discipline. Minimum 2 years humanitarian experience with refugees at field level with an NGO or other international organization
Academy college / University
Good understanding of the north-western camps/Kibondo district at advantage
Experience in reporting, client management, case studies and research.
Duty station: Kibondo
• Temporary service contract
• Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Kibondo
Travel: Some travelling must be expected