Political, Economic and Public Affairs Officer at High Commission of Canada October, 2018
Job Ref: 2766
Job Title: Political, Economic and Public Affairs Officer
Salary: 48, 306, 915 TZS
Summary of position:
Reporting to the Foreign Policy and Diplomacy Service (FPDS) Program Manager, the FPDS Political and Public Affairs Officer leads on advocacy strategy development and is a key pillar in the successful delivery of the FPDS program in three countries of accreditation (Tanzania, Seychelles and Comoros) as well as to the East African Community (EAC). This includes research, analysis and high-quality reporting of complex socio-economic and political domestic and regional dynamics. The officer will design and deliver communications strategies and advocacy campaigns and manage social media, the mission internet and media relations. S/he will prepare information products, including briefs, social media content, and news releases.
The officer will monitor local Swahili-language media and provide translation. S/he will attend public events conducted primarily in Swahili, at times providing support to the FPDS Manager and Head of Mission (HoM). The officer will develop and maintain networks of working-level contacts in government, media and civil society, critically evaluating these organizations, conducting outreach and providing recommendations for FPDS Manager and HoM. The position is also responsible for providing high-quality top-level support to incoming visits. The officer will have strong skills in analysis, interpersonal relations, and the Swahili and English languages.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a major in a discipline related to the job requirements e.g. political science, international studies, economics, modern history or a similar field
Fluency in English (written and spoken)
Fluency in Swahili (written and spoken)
• At least 3 years of recent* experience working in an embassy, international non-governmental organization (NGO) or government environment with a main duty of political/economic reporting
• Previous experience working in public affairs (advocacy / communications strategy; event planning, working with partners, media relations)
• Previous experience using social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter and/or Hootsuite in a professional setting
*Recent is defined as in the last 5 years. Nafasi za kazi
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
• Knowledge of political, social, and economic issues in Tanzania, as well as regional and international security issues affecting Tanzania
• Knowledge of key stakeholders involved in Tanzania’s political and economic situation (including government institutions, international organizations, non-governmental organisations, and media)
• Knowledge of managing the financial aspects of programming e.g. working with budgets, tracking expenditures, and analyzing financial reports and budgets
• Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook) and other software products
• Ability to analyze information and make recommendations
• Ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts
• Ability to work independently, manage time, prioritize and meet deadlines
• Effective interpersonal skills
• Effective interactive communication skills both oral and written
• Exercise sound judgment
• Demonstrate adaptability and flexibility
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV. Nafasi za ajira mpya
• Familiarity with Canada’s foreign policy priorities with regard to Tanzania
• Familiarity with Canada’s bilateral relations with Tanzania
• Knowledge of the French language
• Graduate degree in the subject areas listed under Education