Principal Personnel Licensing Officer (P3)
The Civil Aviation Safety and Security Oversight Agency (CASSOA) is a self-accounting institution of the East African Community. The Agency is looking for a highly motivated, result-driven and qualified professional from citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda and United Republic of Tanzania to fill the following position in the Agency.
GRADE Professional (P3)
REPORTS TO: Director-Technical
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Five years, renewable once upon satisfactory
performance and age limit requirements
DUTY STATION: CASSOA Headquarters in Entebbe, Uganda
1. MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The main responsibility for this position is to coordinate the regional Personnel Licensing functions and activities for the Agency.
2. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Coordinates the development and implementation of an automated regional personnel licensing examination system covering flight crew, cabin crew, aircraft maintenance personnel, air traffic controllers, aviation security screeners, flight operations officers and any other specialties as specified in the civil aviation regulations.
• Coordinates and manage the development and maintenance of the region’s licensed aviation Personnel data bank.
• Provides assistance to Partner States with regard to Personnel licensing functions as required by the harmonised civil aviation regulations.
• Coordinates the development, review, revision, amendment and approval of PEL EAC model regulations in line with ICAO Annexes/Docs and technical guidance materials.
• Coordinates the development and execution of PEL surveillance programme within the region.
• Coordinates the development of inspectors training programme and provision of the on-the-job training to PEL inspectors and designated flight examiners.
• Carries out missions in the Partner States for evaluation of aviation safety status, implementation of harmonised regulations and conformity to ICAO SARPS, approved policies and procedures.
• Participates in the development and maintenance of model regional SSP framework and assist Partner States in developing/implementing their respective harmonised SSP.
• Coordinates the implementation of the procedures and system for the designation of examiners and their oversight.
• Coordinates the development, review and assessment procedures for approval of Aviation Training Organizations (ATOs) covering flight crew, cabin crew, aircraft maintenance personnel, air traffic controllers, aviation security screeners, flight operations officers and any other specialties as specified in the civil aviation regulations training organizations.
• Coordinates regional surveillance activities for ATOs
• Coordinates the USOAP CMA activities in the area of Personnel Licensing
• Prepares budget, annual activities and regular activity reports of the department
• Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
3. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A holder of professional pilot qualification or professional certificates in airworthiness engineering or air traffic control from a recognized institution.
• Possession of a flight instructor rating would be an added advantage.
• Holding aviation related Bachelor’s or/and Master’s degrees from a recognized university would be an added advantage.
Minimum eight years’ experience as a personnel licensing inspector in a Civil Aviation Authority OR alternatively three years as a personnel licensing inspector in a Civil Aviation Authority with experience in dealing with certification and surveillance of aviation training organizations and designation of examiners AND five years’ experience in industry as an Instructor, Pilot, Examiner, Air Traffic Controller, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer or Quality/Safety Manager.
• Experience working within a large aviation-related international organization.
• Experience in organizing and managing technical groups, symposia, workshops and seminars.
• Experience in using word, excel and power point
• Experience with aviation related regional or international organization.
Knowledge of the requirements for personnel licensing systems (regulations, licensing practices and procedures), and of the training, and maintenance of competency of flight and ground crews concerned with airworthiness. Sound knowledge of ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices and related documentation. Observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Speaks and writes English clearly and effectively; listens to others; exhibits interest in having two-way communication; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
4.3 Planning and Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
Consistently does the right things in convenient time and place. Is consistently honest and trustworthy. 4.8 Respect: respects himself/herself and others; respects colleagues’ ideas.
5. ELIGIBILITY FOR APPLICATIONS
This vacancy is only open to citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda and United Republic of Tanzania.
6. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The above is an established position within the CASSOA organization structure and has a five year term contract renewable once upon satisfactory performance. The Officer will be appointed by the CASSOA Board of Directors.
7. SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS
The established position offers a competitive salary and attractive fringe benefits including house allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme and insurance cover among others.
8. AGE LIMIT REQUIREMENTS
Applicants should not be more than 55 years old by 1st September 2018.
9. HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit their applications to be received not later than 28th September, 2018 quoting the job advert reference number of the position applied for by registered mail, courier, email (all soft copies should be in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat) and dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of national IDs or passports, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone/cell phone numbers to:
P O Box 873,
Please do not send multiple applications!
1. The recruitment of the above job will be subject to the EAC Quota system.
2. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
3. Applications sent through the Post Office or by courier services should have the job advert reference written on the top left corner of the envelope.
4. Applications which do not indicate nationality and age, the reference number, a signed application letters, duly filled and signed CASSOA personal history forms and do not include copies of academic degrees, other professional certificates and three referees shall be disqualified.
5. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.